- The JPPI Annual Assessment for 2011-2012 provides a more detailed discussion of the methodology behind both the short-term net assessments and the longer term trends and scenarios discussed below (“Integrated ‘Net’ Assessment”, in Annual Assessment 2011-2012.)
- Because of the focus on U.S. Jewish identity, the invitees this year were largely from the U.S. and Israel and were based upon the invitation list to JPPI’s March 2014 workshop in Glen Cove, NY. Surveys were conducted through email between 19 February and 12 March 2014. A total of 72 individuals were contacted with 27 surveys returned for a response rate of 37.5%.
- See: Israel as A Jewish and Democratic State: Views from the Jewish World, JPPI, May 2014. This study drew from seminars held in Jewish communities around the world and was presented to Prof. Ruth Gavison as background material for her investigation of appropriate constitutional arrangements for Israel as a Jewish and democratic state. She was appointed to this task by Minister of Justice Tzipi Livni.
- See: “Eight facts about Orthodox Jews from the Pew Research survey”, Pew, October 2013.
- See: “Who are the ‘Jews by Religion’ in the Pew Report?”, Shlomo Fischer, JPPI, November 2013; and “’Jews Not By Religion’: How to Respond to American Jewry’s New Challenge”, Shmuel Rosner, JPPI, December 2013.
- A Portrait of Jewish Americans (released October 1, 2013) http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/10/jewish-american-full-report-for-web.pdf .
- Fischer, Op-cit.
- By this respondents do not mean familiarity with classics of Jewish literature but rather enhanced Jewish familiarity among the weakly affiliated with the ‘civil religion’ aspects of Jewish life in America.
- Piketty, Thomas (2014). Capital in the Twenty-first Century. (Cambridge: Harvard University Press.)
- These policies have been put in place not to encourage Aliyah per se but to enhance the prospects that emigrating French Jews will select Israel over other countries. The number of French Jews most strongly connected to the community and to Israel is estimated at around 200,000.