This chapter reviews five major developments that illustrate India’s evolving relationship with the Middle East:
- Energy, the New Key Factor: India’s need for Middle Eastern oil and natural gas draws the country into the Middle East, more than any other factor.
- Expanding Economic Exchanges with the Middle East – Trade, Investment, and Indian Labor: India’s energy links led to a rapid expansion of economic exchanges with the Middle East.
- Islam in India: Islam is the second-most important, but oldest and still relevant, driver of India’s links with the Middle East.
- Political and Military Links with the Middle East: The three factors above, among others, explain India’s expanding political and military links in the Middle East.
- India’s Quest for Global Power Status: India’s quest for great power status could lead to a more proactive Middle East policy.